Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Braised Soy Chicken and eggs Recipe.. Yum!

Firstly, I'm not a cook at all, so, if something I make turn out edible, I'm usually quite happy! ;)

But, not sure what's with me these past few weeks.  I've been using a lot of soy sauce.. hehe

Last week, when I cooked for S and his work colleagues, I made whiskey soy ribs.  Was quite good and I was quite happy they were raving about them and polished every morsel.

Today, I decided to try my hands on braised soy chicken with eggs!  I remembered mum used to make us tau yew bak (braised pork belly) and they were mighty tasty.. but quite fattening.

This is quite simple to make.

These are part of the ingredients:  Clockwise - Rock Sugar, Soy Sauce, Star Anise, Spring Onions, Ginger, Cinnamon Sticks and Garlic

Ingredients:

-  Chicken pieces (I used drumsticks - 600g to 1kg)
-  Boiled eggs (use as many as you want)


Sauce:

-  5 cloves of garlic (peeled and smashed)
-  3  - 4 thick slices of ginger (smashed)
-  3 - 4 spring onions (chopped up 'bout 2cm)
-  1 1/4 cups of soy sauce (1 cup of light soy and 1/2 cup of dark soy) *
-  1 cinnamon stick
-  2 star anise
-  2 tablespoon of rock sugar
- 1 tablespoon of dry sherry or shaoxing wine 
- 4 cups of water (pour more to cover up your chicken)

*  I've only used 1 1/4 cup of soy sauce.  I find the soy sauce here in Stockholm dark and thick..


Method:

Firstly, make sure you have a heavy pot as you'll be letting it sit there for a few hours(le creuset will be fantastic)

Put all the items for the sauce into the pot and leave them to boil

Once they start boiling, put all your chicken pieces into the sauce and turn down to medium heat and let them cook for about 1/2 hour or so and turn off the heat.  

Leave them sitting there for at least 6 hours.  The chicken will continue to cook in the pot (hence it's best to use a heavy pot) and they will be moist and tender when you start eating.

You can cook this in the morning before work and leave them sitting there and they will be ready for you once you return for work in the evening.  Really really simple!

Chicken drumsticks swimming with the cinnamon stick, star anise and spring onions.  They'll sink once they are cooked
Then when you are ready to eat, cook your rice and while waiting for your rice to cook, reheat the chicken on low - medium flame (don't overcook your chicken) and don't forget to put your boiled (peeled) eggs in with the chicken

and the end result?

Voila!  I put loads of sauce with my rice.. Yum yum!
 If you have leftover sauce, don't waste them (they are so tasty).  You can use them to braise more chicken or just use the sauce with rice.

Yum Yum..

Enjoy and if you try this recipe, tell me how you went!

Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment