Thursday, November 14, 2013

Easy Peasy Banana Apple Bread (?) Recipe

OK, Martha Stewart I'm not.  I hardly bake anything and if I do, they are usually the biggest disaster ever.

Funnily enough, I started baking more and definitely cook more once I began my life here in Sweden.  I believe lots of people in the same boat do that too...  Admittedly, most of the expats ladies I've met admitted to it ;)

Anyhow, here's what I got up to this week with leftover frozen bananas in my freezer.  Just keep in mind that ripe bananas are goddamn sweet, so if you want to use more bananas, personally I would cut down on the sugar..  Just my thought.. I know some people love them extra sweet.

Firstly, I'm not much of a fan of bananas, but put them in cakes, I'm in heaven!  So, when I do buy bananas, they do end up in the freezer so I could bake banana cakes.  Anyhow since I've got a few apples left over from all the apple tarts and cakes I've been making for the last few weeks, I decided to use them too.

Trials and errors, I like to live life at the edge.  I don't mind experimenting on friends and since I end up doing so much fikas here, this is a good time to try them on friends and foes (uh hum) alike ;)

I was looking to make bread as I've decided to use my new loaf pan which I got off Amazon when I was in London a couple of weeks ago, so I thought... Why not banana bread? and why not banana apple bread?

This one turned out pretty delicious but unfortunately looks nothing like bread..

Nice and crunchy on the outside...
But seriously, why is it so low!!  Please ignore all the bottles in the background.  They were not part of the process ;)
Kinda looks like bread from the top
But omg.. why is it so thin! haha
At least it was moist and yummy!  A small piece will be satisfactory enough..
So, here's my list of ingredients:

-  1 2/3 cups of all purpose flour
-  1 tsp baking powder (Unfortunately it did not rise much, perhaps 2 tsp??)
-  1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
-  1/4 tsp of ground all spice (It's nearly Christmas OK?)
-  1/2 tsp of salt
-  1 tsp of vanilla essence
-  2 ripe mashed bananas (Use more if you want them really banana-ey... is there such a word??  If you are using frozen bananas, leave them to thaw first before using them..  They'll be all gooey by then)
-  2 apples chopped into mini chunks
-  3/4 cups of sugar 
-  1 egg
-  50g butter

Cinnamon Topping (for the extra crunch!)
-  1/4 cup of brown sugar
-  2 tsp of ground cinnamon
-  1 TSP all purpose flour
-  1 TSP of butter

*  Set oven to 175 degree celsius with fan and lightly grease your loaf pan with butter
*  Beat banana, sugar and butter until light and fluffy in another bowl
*  Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, all spice and salt into another bowl
*  Add flour mixture into the first bowl
*  Stir until combine, then add chopped apples and vanilla essence and combine
*  Pour batter into your loaf pan.  I usually bang the pan a few times to make sure mixture is distributed evenly

Last but not least, combine your cinnamon topping with your fingers and sprinkle them evenly all over the top of your mixture.

Put in oven and let bake for 50 mins to an hour.  Use a little toothpick and insert into the bread, make sure it comes out dry.. That means, it's ready!

Don't forget to invite me for tea!

Happy Baking!

Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment