Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cornbread Recipe, courtesy of my lovely friend, Shelah!

I know next to nothing of Thanksgiving except it's HUGE with the Americans and when I was attending a Thanksgiving dinner, I had to bring some sort of dish.  *Major panic mode*  I actually thought I'll make a Mac & Cheese dish..  What?  Not very thanksgiving food?  *Even more major panic mode*  Thankfully Shelah came to the rescue and provided me with her cornbread recipe.  Funny thing is, she's not an American but a Filipino, and I thank my lucky star for her as both bread were quite moist and tasty.

My first loaf was made at a friend's place and I accidentally bought polenta instead of cornmeal Whoops!  It was slightly grainy but was still quite tasty! hehe.  The mixture turned out quite watery but once baked it looks fine.   But if you want it thicker instead of 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk, you could just use 1 cup of buttermilk

Mix, Mix, Mix..  Hmm.. so watery!
Chopped corn kernels!
1st loaf baking in the oven
My loaf pan is too long, hence my bread is really low in height!
Time for me to get a shorter loaf pan =P
Looks pretty nice and golden colour! 
2 different shaped cornbreads

This one is higher..  Check out the corn pieces =)


Cornbread Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1 cup cornmeal (majsmjöl)
*  50g of melted butter
*  3/4 cup of all purpose flour
*  1 TSP sugar
*  1 1/2 tsp baking powder
*  1/2 tsp baking soda
*  1/4 tsp salt
*  2 large eggs (I used 3 average sized eggs)
*  1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
*  1 small can of corn kernels

1.  Set oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
2.  Mix Cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt together in a bowl.
3.  In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add the buttermilk and melted butter.
4.  Pour in the cornmeal mix and fold until smooth.  (I had to stir as my mixture was really runny)
5.  Bake for around 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown (Insert a toothpick and if it comes out dry, your bread is ready)
6.  Eat and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment