Thursday, September 6, 2012

One by one goes under... down under...

I guess the recession is finally hitting us in Australia.  During the past weeks, I keep seeing Australian businesses going under, one by one.. and there seems to be a lot less jobs being advertised there compared to 2 years or so ago.

First that was good old Darrell Lea.  I remember growing up with Darrell Lea back in Queensland where the best chocolate shop is.. yep!  Darrell Lea... (We were/are pretty backwards in Brisbane ;) )  Australian own and ran by the same family for 85 years.  The good news is, it has been sold and will remain Australian own..

Then there's Retravision.. I grew up with that electrical shop too.. *sigh*

Now, it's Ojay.. yep.. another old favourite brand of mine.  I used to buy my work clothes from them, but could not justify buying their clothing after a while because full price was too expensive, but once it goes on sale, it could go down as much as 70%. (It shows how much of a mark up they usually push up the price!!)  I think I moved on to Cue as Cue was a lot better quality and nicer cut while Ojay, was...  a bit frumpy with a hefty price tag.  How do they survive with such high mark up in the first place?

So, is the resource boom finally crawling to a stop in Australia after all?  As far as I can see, things are not picking up from across the world, instead there's a lot of job losses here in Europe still.  I always keep reminding myself I could always go back to Australia and find myself a job there, but with the way things are going now in Australia, I'm really worried for my future...

Hate this domino effect..  If Europe and America are not buying, this puts a stop to China producing goods, hence stop buying resources from Australia............

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment