Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer holiday in North & South America.. First stop, New York!

It's great to be back as it's been hectic for the last month or so.  We were on our summer vacation to North and South America for 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, things did not go according to plan, but heck.. You deal with it and move on.  So, if you are planning to travel, especially to undeveloped countries, please please please, don't forget to buy insurance.  It will help you a lot in the long run!  At least I took some great pictures from our trip =)

I've been back for the last few weeks, but with work starting, I've been busy running around, foregoing my SFI classes (I can't believe how much I have forgotten in around 1 month =(( )..

Our first stop was New York.  This is my second visit to New York.  Last I was here was back in 2009, and S and myself did a lot of touristy stuff, so, this time round, I was happy to just take things easy and relax.

We did lots of shopping (sorry, did I say we?  I mean... *I* did lots of shopping *blush*).  The obligatory Sephora visit to stock up presents for people and of course our main reason was for one of S's colleague's wedding (whom he knew from back in Australia).  We also managed to squeeze in a cupcake walking tour while we were there, visiting my cousin and her family whom I haven't seen in over 7 years or so, tasting out different restaurants and of course getting a new SLR camera, which was definitely the highlight of my trip =)

Our first hotel, Hilton was right bang in the middle of Times Square.. and this is the view from our windows 
One step out from our hotel, and this is the sight which greets us every night..
I love the bright lights from our windows.. but only for a moment or so as the lights never go off!!..  New York never sleeps!!


The wedding was at the botanical gardens at the Bronx.  Unfortunately, during the whole ceremony, they had a no video or camera policy, so, I didn't get to take any photos.  The reception... was a lot of food.  We had cocktail, which was 'All you can eat' buffet and drinks, before being led to the main dining room.

The centrepiece was pretty with fresh bouquet on each table
My table setting... hmm lots of cutleries!  Does that mean ... Lots of food?!

Entree - Ahi Tuna & Avocado Salad...  I thought the stack was too high..  Was a lot to digest =x

Gorgonzola Salad (One thing about the Americans, they eat a lot of salad! and they always come before the main, hence filling up my stomach!)

Lemon sorbet to wash the fishy taste out of your mouth!

Main was either - Hudson Valley Beef with mustard shallot sauce (S picked this.. and it was quite tasty)

or Sake Roasted Mahi Mahi with soy mirin mushroom broth  (I picked this as my main and was extremely disappointed).  The dumpling that came with it was frozen!  The fish was slightly dry.. for some reason I was expecting broth... or just slightly wetter than it was =(

Borrowing one of the groomsmen's props =)

Playing with the props for the guests

A variety of tea and I picked the green tea and it was really cute and was so fragrant =)

Dessert - Summer Dessert Sampler.  blueberry ice cream in little cones, cuppocino cup and some other frozen dessert which I can't remember
Best part was definitely the DIY photo booth!  Was quite fun =)

Only picture I took at my cousin's!!!  Saw her 3 times, and these were the only photos we took!  BBQ at their apartment in Brooklyn hehe =)

Our extremely morning cab ride to the airport for our flight to Miami..  That's the Brooklyn bridge =)









No comments:

Post a Comment